A chart is cast at the time when transit Sun returns to the sign & degree of the natal Sun. This chart is only valid for 1 year (from birthday to next birthday). The location where you celebrate your birthday is very important since it influences your whole SR (solar return). Here we can use Astrocartography to see where in the world it would be best to celebrate your birthday to provide you with the best SR chart. To get more in depth about highlighted months within the upcoming year, you have to check the Lunar Return chart. However, it is said that one can’t run from their fate, so the Solar return chart for the place of birth remains an active chart, and the main source to work with in yearly forecasts.
How to interpret a Solar Return Chart
1) In what house is the SR Sun
2) What is the SR ASC
3) Where is the ruler of the SR ASC placed
4) Which aspects does the Sun receive
5) What houses or Signs have a stellium
6) Are there Planets conjunct to the Axis
7) In what House & Sign is the NorthNode
8) What aspects are made in the chart
9) What houses are connected
10) Which hemisphere has the most concentration of planets
11) Which Quadrant has the most concentration of planets
12) Day or Nighthchart : to determine malefic & benefic influences
• Next step is to do a chart overlay of the SR with your Natal chart,
to get more in depth about the themes and how things could manifest:
1) In what house is the SR ASC in the Natal chart
2) In what house is the SR ASC ruler in the Natal chart
3) What planets or Points of the SR are conjunct with the Natal Axis
4) What aspects are made between SR planets and Natal planets
• Next step is to use Lunar Return chart to find important months within that year,
Or to predict a certain event. You can make 13 Lunar return charts for a whole year.
Meaning planets & houses
What the planets represent in the Solar Return chart
• ASC = Approach to life and how others see you, physical body
• Sun = Main focus of the year, Highlight
• Moon = Emotional focus, needs & concern, soul-searching, Fluctuations
• Mercury = Mental focus, communication, contacts, playground, Awareness
• Venus = Joy, happiness, indulgence, need for harmony, Attraction
• Mars = Focused energy, action, conflict, accidents, Efforts
• Jupiter = Expansion, abundance of wealth/knowledge, benefit, Protection
• Saturn = Karmic, responsibility, lack, loss, delay, need for stability, Challenge
• Uranus = Sudden/unusual events, freedom, creativity, ideas, Change
• Neptune = Inspiration, illusion, spiritual connection, inward, loss, Healing
• Pluto = Endings & beginnings, desire, power(lessness), psychic, Transformation
• NorthNode = Focus, confidence, attitude, attraction, karmic, Growth
• SouthNode = Need to let go, lack of action, Skills
• POF = Small luck, overcoming/finding a way out of a problem
• Lilith = Frustration, deception, irritation, sexual matters
Retrograde planets signify the need for a review, a revisit regards what that planet symbolizes + the themes and life area of the house that this RX planet rules over. For example if Mars is retrograde in the Solar return, but also happens to be the ruler of the 7th house, than a review is needed regards your actions, passion, approach and energy (=Mars) that’s put into relationships, business partnerships, clients, close friendships and other people in general (=7th house).
• Retrograde = Revisit, review, internal energy, delay, returning, something that’s broken (and needs repair), deal with what you have first before taking more onto your plate, change, often the energy manifests near the end of the solar year.
What the houses represent in the Solar Return chart
• 1st = How you present yourself, personal concerns and needs
• 2nd = How your income, possessions, values will be, self-esteem
• 3rd = How you communicate, contacts with others
• 4th = How your home situation will be, family, property, parents
• 5th = How you will express yourself, possibilities for romance and creativity
• 6th = How your daily routine, health and work will be
• 7th = How your relationships with others will be
• 8th = How you will transform, get money from others
• 9th = How your attitude is towards higher education and travel
• 10th = How the outside world will see you, possibilities for building career
• 11th = How your communications will be, your desires and goals
• 12th = How you will seek peace, isolation, spirituality. condition of health
Southern (Top half) :
Focus on the outer world, other people, relationships, being recognized, your career, leadership
Northern (Bottom half) :
Introspective, self-reliant, out of the public eye, focus on home and family, work, your job, service to others, the community and neighbors
Western (Right half) :
Other people, family, the partner, coworkers, being responsive to others
Eastern (Left half) :
Self-awareness, self-reliant, self-motivation, career, friendships
The quadrant with the most occupation by planets symbolize what area of life
will be more highlighted within that year.
1st-4th house : Personal needs
5th-8th house : Involvement with others
9th-12th house : Personal wishes and hopes, isolation and thinking
Most occupied houses or Stellium
Angular (1, 4, 7, 10) : New projects/relationship could take place. New beginnings
Succedent (2, 5, 8, 11) : Things you have started could / need to be finished
Cadent (3, 6, 9, 12) : A year of change or mental activity
House placement of the Sun
Angular : Most activity / productivity in the first 4 months
Succedent : Most activity / productivity in the middle part of the Solar year
Cadent : Most activity / productivity in the last 4 months
Planets in Cardinal signs bring about new beginnings towards what the planet signifies
The Ascendant = Highlights, important themes & approach
Aries = Initiative, impulsive, opportunities, courage, new beginnings, active
Taurus = Finances, home, stability, practical, patience, beauty, improving
Gemini = Outgoing, sociable, curious, busy, hard to commit, adjustments
Cancer = Emotional, sensitive, security, defensive, protective, home, family
Leo = Creating, children, romance, appearance, drama, expressive, hobbies
Virgo = Work, habits, health, routine, busy, practical, analytical
Libra = Compromising, balance, relationships, creativity, skin, artistic
Scorpio = Intensity, introspective, alienating, extreme focus, changes
Sagittarius = Adventure, restless, breaking free, optimistic, study, spirituality, travel
Capricorn = Responsibilities, career, business, black-and-white thinking
Aquarius = Independence, Breaking out, renewal, creativity, change
Pisces = Dreamy, directionless, escapism, artistic, addictions, inspiration
The ruler of the SR ASC can provide you with clues as in which area of life you’re most likely to experience the focus.
Such as ASC ruler placed in 7th house brings the focus onto relationships. ASC ruler placed in 12th house
brings the focus onto going inward and isolation.
Whenever the SR ASC is between 14-16 degrees, the core themes of the sign will be a major theme.
Example : ASC Libra shows a year where relationships are a big concerns on the native’s mind.
ASC Virgo indicates a year in which there is a big theme around health, routines and service, and so on.
The signs represent the nature of the activities and areas
• The energy of the SR starts to effect 20 days to 3 months prior to your birthday
• Situations and experiences around your birthday will be the theme of the next year
• The Ascendant sign = your personality in the upcoming 12 months
• A stellium, Sun or Mars in 1st, 6th or 12th house are considered difficult
• Connections between the houses.
For example : If the ruler of the 2nd house is placed in the 7th house, it indicates financial loss to a partner
• 11th house relates to death and mourning most of the time
• Trines/ Sextiles to Uranus and Neptune are considered bad luck
• Saturn = shows the area where you will be tested in the next 12 months
• NorthNode = highlighted area that needs care, where your focus will be, where karma comes from
• ASC ruler or natal chart ruler placed on the Rising side = person will have a lot of power that year
• SR ASC the same as ASC of natal chart = a very important year
• SR ASC the same as ASC of Natal chart = Fulfilling the promise
• SR ASC the same as DSC of natal chart = a difficult year
• SR ASC falling into Natal 6th, 8th or 12th house = difficult year
• Sun & Moon conjunct = an important year of new beginnings
• House where the SR ASC falls into your birthchart is the area that will be highlighted
• A lot of aspects to the Sun = Active year and other way around
• Planets conjunct any house cups or an angle = strongest energy (max. orb 5′)
Vertex in the Solar Return
The Vertex (Vx) is always located on the right side of the circle, as it’s a fated point that involves other people,
where which we learn, experience and feel.
Through the houses
VX in 5 : Sexual experiences, Pregnancy, children, meeting a lover
VX in 6 : Health matters, accidents
VX in 7 : Meeting significant people, falling in love
VX in 8 : Intense (sexual) experiences, major changes, deep transformation
Aspects to SR house rulers
This shows what areas of life are involved in the fated matters.
Vx – 1st : Things involving the physical, actions taken by the native
Vx – 2nd : Matters of money, changing values
Vx – 3rd : Communication, siblings, neighbors, writing
Vx – 4th : Deep emotional experiences, home, moving, mother
Vx – 5th : Sexual matters & experiences, children, pregnancy
Vx – 6th : Affected health and routines
Vx – 7th : Involvement of partner/others, change in partnership/circumstances
Vx – 8th : Surfacing of trauma, sexual matters, surgeries, mental health
Vx – 9th : Foreign matters, learning, spirituality
Vx – 10th : Change in status, image, career
Vx – 11th : Via internet, networking, friends
Vx – 12th : Suffering, undoing, holding secrets, far away places, cheating
Aspects to Planets
Conjunctions, squares and oppositions can show some form of challenge and hardship, which is dependent on what planet is involved. Squares to the Moon seem to bring emotional difficulty in which circumstances with others are a cause.
Vx – Sun : Enlightenment, highlighting
Vx – Moon : Emotionally involved or affected, soul
Vx – Mercury : Communication, writing, mental/intellectual, thoughts
Vx – Venus : Love matters, romance, partnering
Vx – Mars : Sexual experiences, anger, activity, accidents, surgeries
Vx – Jupiter : Learning, foreign matters, education/study
Vx – Saturn : Hardship, breakings, responsibility
Vx – Uranus : Unstable, change, renewal, innovation
Vx – Neptune : Idealization, drugs, escapism, creativity
Vx – Pluto : Intense experiences, transformation, lifechanging
1) VX in 7th, square to Saturn (1st) and Sun (8th) both in 10th
The person experiences sexual repression/asexuality with a partner, which is explained by the fact that VX is placed in the 7th, so there is somehow a linkage to the partner or other people. As the VX is squaring the 1st ruler, which is Saturn, it shows hardship and challenges that the native experienced on a physical level (sexual repression and eating disorder), The eating disorder is shown by VX aspecting the Sun, which is the 8th ruler, 8th is the house of trauma and also mental health. The aspected planets are located in the 10th house, showing an outward manifestation that will be noticed by the surroundings of the native.
2) VX in 5th, square to Moon (12th) in the 9th house, and trine Uranus (7th) in the 10th
The person had profound sexual experiences, both sexual repression/depression, which had lead to the native cheating on their partner with a foreign person. This is shown by VX in 5th (sexual/romantic matters) square to the Moon which is located in the 9th house, showing foreign matters/people, The Moon is the ruler of the 12th, which means there are emotional secrets being kept (feelings), but as it’s the Moon is also shows how the native is emotionally involved and affected. The trine to Uranus shows change, as Uranus is the ruler of 7th it shows a change in relationships, that year the native broke up with the partner. Uranus in 10th shows an outward change of status (becoming single).
Predicting with Vertex
The Vertex is what others bring to you, things beyond our own control and a point of fate and things that have to happen.
Look at the planet that rules the house where the Vertex is
Than look for this planet in transit and when it makes an (exact) aspect to the Vertex
This may bring a fated event, this can be just the start of something that’s meant to be and therefore not always super significant at first, but part of what’s destiny.
Also look for transit Sun in aspect to that same planet.
Using the Moon
Check what last aspect it makes before leaving the sign it’s placed in the Solar Return.
• Void of course = Nothing much will change
• Opposition = A separation
• Square = Challenges are met successfully
• Trine/Sextile = Good outcome
• Conjunct = Good outcome, only if it’s to a benefic planet
Using the Lunar Return
Check for the Lunar Return chart that has the same Ascendant as the Solar Return.
This will show the month(s) that are key to the whole year.
Important events could take place during these time periods.
Using the Transit Sun
The house it transits through shows the area of focus.
For example : transit Sun conjunct to the Solar ASC could bring a lot of vital energy and courage
to take back power or to undertake certain things which you otherwise wouldn’t feel strong enough for.
Using the Transit SR ASC ruler
If the Solar Return shows a year of love (Libra rising), than Venus is the ruling planet of the ASC and therefore represents you. Often an event with a lover takes place when the Transit Venus is trine, sextile or conjunct to Mars (7th house ruler in this example).
Using the Timelord (Profections)
Depending in what profected house year you are, will give you a Planet that is of importance during the whole year.
At first it is important to look at where this planet is placed in the Solar Return, as the house position will show the area of focus. Look at the aspects it receives from other planets to see how much it’s supported during the year.
Next step is to keep an eye on the transits of your Timelord to solar return planets, and transits that aspect your timelord.
Profected 4th house year = Moon
The Moon becomes a very important planet. So aspects from the transit Moon and aspects from transit planets to the natal Moon will indicate important events.
Main focus of the year is seen by :
1) SR ASC sign + house placement of the ruling planet
2) House placement of the Sun
3) House placement of Profected Year lord
4) Planets conjunct angles
Solar Return + Health
• Intercepted Signs
Health is seen through intercepted signs and planets. It doesn’t matter in which house the interception takes place, the issues linked to the sign will likely cause health problems in the upcoming solar year.
That means if Aries is intercepted, issues with fever, head(injury), anger, temper,… may arise.
If Scorpio is intercepted it could bring issues to the sexual organs, tailbone, ovaries, fear/trauma, obsession,…
Any planet that’s placed in an interception contributes to the cause of the health problems throughout the year.
• 6th house
The sign on the 6th house cusp will indicate what part of the body is likely to be more vulnerable to injury or issues.
Let’s say Pisces is on the 6th cusp, it could mean confusion, mental issues or addiction.
The degree of the 6th cusp
• 1st house
Any planet in the 1st house will indicate what’s on the native’s mind most of the year. If Moon is place here, the native will be more emotional than usual and may struggle with moodswings. If Saturn is placed here is may indicate the native will lose weight due to difficult circumstances or may feel suppressed in their expression and identity.
Solar Return + Love
• Sun / Moon in 7th = Very strong indication for a new relationship, if you are single
• Venus / Mars in 7th = Strong indication for a new relationship
• Jupiter conjunct Moon in 7th = heavenly in love
• Venus conjunct Neptune in 7th = Deeply in love, idealization
• Uranus in 7th = difficulty manifesting a relationship with the person you are interested in
• Neptune in 5th = year of falling in love (careful for deception/illusion)
• DSC in Aquarius = shows change in relationship(s)
• Saturn in 7th = Barriers in a relationship or for commitment
• Stellium in 5th = Good time for dating and romance, affairs
• Stellium in 7th = A lot of focus and movement in the area of relationships
• Mercury in 7th = A proposal can come your way
• Venus in 6th = Can attract a mate into your life
• Venus conjunct Mars in 1st or 7th = New love interest
• Sun conjunct Juno = Shows a year of possibly meeting spouse
• Venus conjunct ASC = A focused year of love matters
• Venus or Jupiter at 12-13′ in a Cardinal sign
More information regards finding Love in the Solar Return chart : Click here